The Ultimate Disco Dancer of Bollywood, an actor par excellence and a human being to be adored, Mithun Chakraborty needs a grand salute. Fondly known as Mithun Da, the actor has achieved sky high success in almost 4-decade long career and has witnessed a stardom which is no layman’s job. But still, he is one such rare star who is completely unaffected by all the hullabaloo of the glamorous world.
Let's take a look at 10 Interesting and unknown facts about 'The Disco Dancer' Mithun Chakraborty:
1. Mithun Chakraborty was born on 16 July 1950 in Kolkata, West Bengal. He has completed his schooling at the Oriental Seminary. He graduated with chemistry from Scottish Church College of the University of Calcutta and is an alumnus of the Film and Television Institute of India.
2. Mithun Chakraborty was a wrestler in his younger days. In 1967, he won the West Bengal State Wrestling Championship in the Junior Category.
3. He made his acting debut with the film Mrigayaa in 1976. He first gained fame as a renowned dancer and established himself as one of the all time top ten greatest actors of India. He became a household name for his role in film Disco Dancer. He has appeared in about 350 films including Bengali, Oriya, Bhojpuri and Punjabi movies.
4. Mithun Chakraborty was a hard Naxalite before he joined the film industry. It was after the death of his brother in an unfortunate accident that he quit.
5. During his struggling days, he was an assistant to star dancer Helen under the name Rana Rej. Speaking about his struggling days, Mithun Da had once said that when he danced on stage, he was not even sure whether he would get a meal. He used to wish after every performance that a reputed person from the industry saw him dance, and would give him a break.
6. He owns various in the regions of Ooty, Darjeeling, Siliguri and Kolkata. He considers Ooty to be a very lucky place for him because most of his films which had a backdrop of Ooty were a super hit at the box-office.
7. He had got a massive fan following in Russia. There, he has been worshipped by his fans to the extent that in an interview, Mithun once claimed that he sometimes feels he must have got great association with the country in his last birth.
8. Mithun has won four National Awards, three of them Best Actor - 'Mrigayaa' (1976), Agneepath' 1990) and the Bengali film 'Tahader Katha' (1992), and one for Best Supporting Actor for the 1998 film 'Swami Vivekananda'.
9. Mithun Da is married to Yogita Bali and has two kids but there was a time when Mithun Da was quite famous for his relationship with Sridevi. Reports suggest that despite being a married man, Mithun Da couldn’t control his fondness for Sridevi and indulged in a secret wedding with her. It was only after a newspaper published their marriage certificate that their relationship became public.
10. The actor has got tremendous love for animals and he deems himself as a proud father of 38 dogs in Mumbai. He fondly addresses his dogs as his kids and loves them unconditionally.