top button
Flag Notify
    Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Facebook Login
Site Registration

LTE: What is the difference between connected mode mobility and idle mode mobility?

+2 votes
3,244 views
LTE: What is the difference between connected mode mobility and idle mode mobility?
posted Mar 25, 2014 by Kapil Kapoor

Share this question
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

2 Answers

+5 votes

Idle mode mobility relies on UE measurements and UE decisions whether to make a cell reselection or not. The MME keeps track of the UEs on a TA level.

Connected mode mobility relies on UE measurements and eNB decisions whether to make Handover or not. The UE position is known on cell level by the eNB.

answer Mar 25, 2014 by Hiteshwar Thakur
+2 votes

In CONNECTED the UE on 99% is sending/reciving data, so its Radio Bearer is established with eNB. The other 1% is for cases when it stopped sending/reciving, but Inactivity timer on taking down the Radio Bearer has not exceeded.

In IDLE mode the UE's Radio Bearer was was released because the Inactivity timer on the radio side has exceeded.

CONNECTED - has Radio Bearer(s) established;
IDLE - no Radio Bearer(s) established.

Although the Bearers on the Core side still exist in both cases.

answer Mar 25, 2014 by Bart Barton
Similar Questions
Contact Us
+91 9880187415
sales@queryhome.net
support@queryhome.net
#280, 3rd floor, 5th Main
6th Sector, HSR Layout
Bangalore-560102
Karnataka INDIA.
QUERY HOME
...