BUT AT THE END IT's ALL DEPEND ON YOU
PHP is ultimate if you know how to do it properly. Here's my 2 cent on choosing PHP
* Admin it : You don't have to write too much code for a small functionality.
* In PHP you can built : E.Commerce,Blog,Social Networking,Payment Gateway, News Portal,Chatting Application and soon there will be mobile apps(acc. to Zend Community).
* You can easily get PHP developers in less amount.
* PHP is oldest web development technology, it exist even before Java. There are tons of coding resources available on PHP.
Why choose Java for web development
* Java is more secure.
* Java is robust there are tons of libraries available in Java technology. You can implement very advanced feature in your java web application.
* Java is fantastic for scalable and enterprise application. Most new and small startup prefer not to choose java as it takes lot of time, 4-6 months to build a good web application. And start up want to hit the market before their competitor do.
* Java has a great demand in large enterprise based application,finance,bank,stock and some network based application.
* BUT Java is popular in Modern day application too, some examples are
1) Google Applications like : Google Web Toolkit
2) Play Framework
3) Amazon,Linkedin use Java alot.
Java and PHP both has their own pros and cons. Remember
- What you are building?
- What languages/technology you are comfortable with?
- Can you get help related to the choice of your technology?