My problem is in the way d3 issues a GET request when it looks for my json and d3.js files.
Things I tried:- setting up a static pages folder that is served with high_voltage gem. This didn't work for me as I couldn't get around my application layout so it wrapped my js and json in html. I think this is why this didn't work.- putting the files to be served in the public folder. This didn't work because it couldn't find the routes for the public folder. I did turn on config.serve_static_assets in the production enviroment config file.
I feel like this question should have a simple answer as everything works perfectly if I put my html, json and d3.js files into a folder and start a simple python http server in that folder. I think my problem is in my understanding of the way rails is trying to serve things.