One of the most challenging treks in the Annapurna Region is the Annapurna Circuit Trek to Lake Tilicho but it is also worth all the complexities it presents to the trekkers. It is the most diversified and adventurous trekking trail that exposes the trekkers to lush paddy fields, oak trees and rough mountain terrains on one side and the beautiful sparkling Tilicho lake, the high Thorong La Mountain pass and the Kaligandaki Gorge on the other!
The alternate route to the Annapurna Circuit Trek that covers the Tilicho Lake from the north has gained tremendous popularity in the last few years. This hike takes an additional 3 to 4 days and a minimum of one-night camping. The Annapurna Circuit Trek has an extraordinary panorama to offer to its trekkers. There are a number of orchid forests, valleys covered in beautiful rhododendrons, rough terrains together with amazing flora and fauna.
Highlights of the Annapurna Circuit Trek with Tilicho Lake (15 days)
- The Annapurna Circuit Trek is a classic trek that is also the most popular in Nepal.
- Visit Lake Tilicho, the highest lake in the world.
- Cross Thorong La Mountain pass, world’s biggest mountain pass.
- Trek the deepest gorge in the world, the Kaligandaki gorge.
- Explore and learn more about Buddhist and Hindu culture and the lifestyle of the local people.
- Enjoy diverse ecosystems, diverse cultures, and different landscapes.
- You can relax your aching muscles at the natural hot springs in Tatopani.
- Together with the Tilicho Lake Trek, you will also join the route that goes to the famous Muktinath Temple. The Muktinath Temple is a religious place of importance for both Buddhists and Hindus alike.
- On the way, you can closely explore the lifestyle of Thakali and Gurung people who have their settlements scattered around the region.
- All along the trek, you will be lucky to have beautiful views of Himalayan ranges such as Nilgiri, Tilicho Himal and Annapurna ranges.
More about Tilicho Lake
The glacial lake is located at an altitude of 4919m near the Annapurna Circuit. It is formed by the water that melts from the glaciers of the northern slopes of Annapurna. The lake is located in the Manang district of Nepal which is about 55 kilometers from the Pokhara city.
Even though there are other lakes at higher altitudes in Nepal itself, Lake Tilicho is called the highest lake in the world, often for its size. As per the Nepali department of Hydrology and Meteorology, there are no signs of any aquatic organisms in the lake. The lake has become a popular destination for most of the trekkers that take up the alternate route of Annapurna Circuit Trek with Tilicho Lake. A team of Russian divers undertook scuba diving in the Tilicho Lake in the year 2000.
Apart from the historical significance, the Tilicho Lake also has a religious significance since as per the Hindu mythology the lake has been mentioned in their respected book Ramayana. Since there are several Buddhist villages on the way to the lake, the religious and cultural stories from Tibet are also associated with it.
The trek has the best of the Annapurna circuit whether it is in terms of landscape, culture, mythology or mountains.
There are several trekking companies that provide customized packages of the trek to their clients. They are highly professional and can be trusted for all the arrangements and safety during the trek. So, get ready for one of the most beautiful treks in the Manang region of Nepal.