In today's tech world, most of the applications being developed under Logistics, Inventory, Internal Transaction and other domains require day-to-day data in excel files and prefer excel file operations in their applications.
I will be sharing one of the Nuget Package tools which, with very minimal lines of code, will export an excel file for us.
The Tool is Closed XML.
Just write a few lines of code and done! It is developer friendly. If we have used the Open XML, there are a lot of lines of code which are required to export an excel from data. We can create an excel file of 2007/2010 configuration without an Excel application.
To add the closed XML package, we add it directly through the user interface from the Nuget Gallery and also, we can use the Package Manager console to add the package using the below command
PM> Install-Package ClosedXML
- DataTable dt = new DataTable();
- dt.Columns.AddRange(new DataColumn
- new DataColumn("Id", typeof(int)), new DataColumn("Name", typeof(string)), new DataColumn("Country", typeof(string))
- dt.Rows.Add(1, "C Sharp corner", "United States");
- dt.Rows.Add(2, "Suraj", "India");
- dt.Rows.Add(3, "Test User", "France");
- dt.Rows.Add(4, "Developer", "Russia"); //Exporting to Excel
- string folderPath = "C:\\Excel\\";
- if (!Directory.Exists(folderPath))
- //Codes for the Closed XML
- using (XLWorkbook wb = new XLWorkbook())
- wb.Worksheets.Add(dt, "Customers");
- //wb.SaveAs(folderPath + "DataGridViewExport.xlsx");
- string myName = Server.UrlEncode("Test" + "_" + DateTime.Now.ToShortDateString() + ".xlsx");
- MemoryStream stream = GetStream(wb);
- // The method is defined below
- Response.Buffer = true;
- Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "attachment; filename=" + myName);
- Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel";
The above code instantiates a data table, with few data initializations.
- public MemoryStream GetStream(XLWorkbook excelWorkbook)
- MemoryStream fs = new MemoryStream();
- fs.Position = 0;
- return fs;
We are using this method, so as to return a stream in order to download the file in response to using the stream. The save as method of the Closed XML helps create the stream.
Downloaded file looks like below,