1) Install Decent Anti-virus Software:- An antivirus program is a must, yes, they will slow down your computer a little, but I think that is a pill worth swallowing as opposed to being infected by a virus. There are many genuine and free anti-virus that you can easily download via internet.
- avast! free antivirus
- Comodo firewall Free or ZoneAlarm free firewall
- Avira free antivirus
2) Emails - be careful of hoaxes and attachments:- Only download email attachments from someone that you know and you are expecting to receive the attachments. If you aren’t expecting an email attachment from someone that you know, ask and confirm with the sender. In short, always ensure the sender details is 100% correct with proper display name and legitimate email address.
3) Browse the Internet safely:- Turn off sharing when you are connecting to public WiFi. For Windows users, simply select “Public network” when choosing a network location. When you are performing a transaction or providing sensitive information, make sure the website URL has “HTTPS” in it, so that the communication is encrypted. Make sure you have entered the right website URL before browsing.
4) Create strong and unique passwords :- Here are some basic requirements of a strong password:
- at least 8 characters long.
- includes uppercase and lowercase letters, punctuation, numbers and special characters.
- avoid common phrase and dictionary words.
5) Keep your OS and application software up-to-date:- Software updates protect your PC against new attacks, by downloading the latest security patches and fixing bugs/loopholes.
6) Do not use pirated or cracked software:- pirated or cracked software often contain viruses even though they appear to function normally. Here are 2 solutions for you, get a free and safe alternative like open-source software or work hard to get what you want.
7) Protect your PC from removable media :- Pen drive and external hard disk make your life easier, but they also make transmitting viruses easier. Imagine you have a USB flash drive and you always share it with your friends and family. If your pen drive is infected, it will become a virus transmitter that spreads virus on any connected computers. Panda USB Vaccine is a free USB anti-malware tool that disables the Autorun.inf file in your USB flash drive, as most viruses are spread by executing Autorun.inf automatically when a removable media is inserted into a PC.