The following rules apply in case of IPL teams and their composition:
- There needs to be a minimum of 16 players in each of the eight teams.
- Each team will have one physio and a coach.
- At least two players in each team will be from BCCI under-22 pool.
- A minimum of eight local players will be there in each team.
- The number of foreign players in a team cannot exceed 10 (8 in the first season).
- Amongst the playing 11 members of a team, no more than four can be foreign players.
- Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly, Yuvraj Singh and Virender Sehwag are the players with 'icon status'.