Construction was started by Qutb ud-Din Aibak,
Construction was completed by Iltutmish (by adding 3 storeys)
Firoz Shah Tughlaq carried out restoration work
Qutb al-Din Aibak, founder of the Delhi Sultanate, started construction in 1192 and completed in 1220. In 1220, Aibak's successor and son-in-law Iltutmish added three storeys to the tower. In 1369, lightning struck the top storey, destroying it completely. So, Firoz Shah Tughlaq carried out restoration work replacing the damaged storey with two new storeys every year, made of red sandstone and white marble.