Pines are sun-loving trees that do not grow well under shady conditions. Most of these trees live in the Northern Hemisphere, except for the Sumatran pine surviving south of the equator. Following are the list of the adaptation which pine true had done to survive harsh environment.
1. Trees have thick bark to protect against the cold.
2. They are cone-shaped, with flexible branches which help them to cope with heavy snow fall.
3. Pine cones protect the seeds during the harsh winter.
4. Their evergreen nature means that the needles can photosynthesize whenever there is sufficient sunlight.
5. Their pine needles with their small surface area, reduce water loss through a process called transpiration
6. Needles have lower wind resistance than big, flat leaves, so they're less likely to make the tree fall over during a big storm.