Chlorophyll is the green pigment found in plant leaves. Chlorophyll works by absorbing sunlight and turning it in to energy for the plant. and the process of removing from the leaf is called Pigmentation.
Home Experiment One Can Try
1. Pour 2 cups water into a medium-sized pot and set it on the stove. Turn the heat setting to high.
2. Bring the water to a boil and set your leaf in it for two minutes.
3. Remove the pot from the heat. Use a spoon to take the leaf out.
4. Pour 1 cup rubbing alcohol into a tall, heat-safe glass and set it in the middle of the pot of hot water.
5. Place the leaf in the glass with the rubbing alcohol. Make sure the leaf is entirely covered with the rubbing alcohol.
6. Wait one hour and return to check on the leaf. The leaf should now show its true color. The rubbing alcohol will now be green. The green in the rubbing alcohol is the removed chlorophyll.